Due to the recent increase in size and footprint of the Coffs Harbour hospital, they are looking at increasing accessibility of medical grade defibrillators in the facility- to help anyone having a heart attack.
With over 500 inpatients + their visitors + Staff at the Coffs Harbour Hospital, at any one time, the chance of a heart attack is very possible, so anyone can start basic life support before the medical emergency responders from ICU arrive.
- The longer the heart muscles are deprived of oxygen, the greater and more permanent the damage to the heart
- Emergency treatment to quickly restore blood flow to the heart is vital.
Some interesting facts-
- Every 9 minutes, one person is hospitalized with a heart attack.
- Heart disease is the number one killer of women in Australia
- It kills 3 x more than breast cancer.
- 50 women/day suffer a heart attack
So PST felt it’s important to get more of the medical grade defibrillators into our local hospital.
This was achieved at the High Tea by the Sea Event at Latitude 30 on Saturday 28 May 2022.